Pages

May 16, 2012

My first blogged book review!

Yayyy!
 I finally finished my book the other day, but we have all been sick with the stomach flu:( We are all better now, thank goodness! It was awful. I thought I had the plague.

Anyways! On to my first blogged book review!

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

From the author of the phenomenal #1 New York Times bestseller Tuesdays with Morrie, a novel that explores the unexpected connections of our lives, and the idea that heaven is more than a place; it's an answer.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"

What I loved most about this book: I have this strange, magical love for carnivals, fairs, amusement parks, and circuses. So being that this book revolves around an amusement park in which the main character spent his entire life, I automatically fell in love. I could picture everything perfectly in my head. Albom describes places and characters so vividly, you can almost smell the ocean water from the pier.

Is this book religious? One might think this is a story that will make you change your beliefs or whatever because of the word "heaven" in the title. But it's not religious at all. In fact, another reason I love this book is because of how it describes heaven; it's different for everyone:)

How I felt after reading this book: Unlike Mockingjay, which left me in a depressed state of mind for about a week LOL, I ended this book very happy; with even a smile on my face! There were some parts of the book that take your breathe away or bring a tear to your eye, but in the end, everything makes sense and all is right.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven receives 5 coffee mugs from me. I would recommend this book to anyone!


ps- If anyone has any pointers or suggestions on how to make my reviews a bit more, er, enjoyable, please feel free to comment or email me!! :) I promise, no hard feelings! LOL!

2 comments:

carol said...

Not a book I'm likely to read, but you did a really good job with the review.

Unknown said...

Good review! I loved this book, I read it about a month ago.