Pages

February 22, 2011

Update on Tucker man!

Today has been a super LONG day. Me, Doug, and the kids, left the house at 5AM this morning to head to Memphis for Tucker's MRI. The instructions given to me when we made this appointment were to not give him anything to eat/drink for 8 hours prior to the procedure. We were supposed to be at LeBonhuer at 7:30AM so they can begin the MRI at 8AM.  Well.....we hit Memphis traffic at 7:15, making us a little late and I HATE being late. We finally make it there and go to the Neurology Department. Wrong. We were supposed to be in the Radiology Department. We get back on the elevator, finally making it to where we needed to be at 8AM. They call us back to the "prep" room only to be told that in THEIR computer, we weren't scheduled for the MRI until 10:30..  WHAT??!! My poor baby can't eat anything for ANOTHER 2 hours on top of the 8 he already couldn't eat??!!! Oh. No. They. Didn't.

But, it turns out, one child that was ahead of us for the MRI was too sick to go through with it. So it bumped Tucker up to getting his done quicker than we thought!

BUT....they had to put him to sleep because he is so young and they needed to put an IV in him in case he had a seizure during the MRI. I told the nurse that Tucker has really small veins, like me, and that they always have trouble finding one to use. This stupid nurse tells me to hold his legs down while her and the other nurse find a vein. She looks for like 0.4 seconds on this hand then sticks a needle in it. And was wiggling it around!!!!! Oh I was sick. Literally. The room started spinning. Tucker was screaming bloody murder (and I don't blame him). Doug took over just in time. I almost passed out. Why would you do that to a baby?? After I JUST told you he had small veins!!! So as I sat in the chair beside Kenzie getting my breath back and crying, Doug held Tucker down while they stuck him 3 more times. Yes, three. Once in each food and one on the other hand. Doug finally told them to quit. She said she would let the doctor do it. Thanks. Idiot. 
They took Tucker back to the anesthesiologist to finish his IV. Thankfully, this doctor has a heart and gave him "the gas" before they stuck him again. So he didn't feel that one, thank goodness. I thought I was gonna have to hurt somebody. It only took about 45 minutes to complete the MRI. When they let me come back to the recovery room, Tuck was out of it lol. He was so funny. But he did great!

We finally met with his Neurologist at around 11AM. He looked at the MRI results and all was great! Nothing was abnormal. He diagnosed him with having Idiopathic seizures. They are the most common type and they have no known causes. He is most likely to outgrow them by the age of 2, if not before. He will continue to take his medicine for 2 more years. We go back every 6 months for a checkup to see if we need to up his dosages. That's why he had a "general seizure" a couple of weeks ago; because he had hit a growth spurt and the dosage he was taking just wasn't strong enough for him anymore. So we are gonna keep an eye out for that.

Here is a link explaining more about Idiopathic Seizures     CLICK HERE

I wanted to thank everyone for praying for us! It means so much to me and my family that so many people are thinking of Tucker and us in these times! I'm just so thankful for a healthy baby boy. I know it could be worse, that's why I'm counting my blessings. My sweet little family means everything to me!

1 comment:

Janie said...

Poor little guy! That's really good news that it's nothing too serious!